WELCOME TO WEEK 4: THE WAY OF FORGIVENESS
The Sower & The Seed
Following Jesus Christ is about becoming fully alive in Christ. It is not about settling for less than we hoped; it is about longing for more—living and praying our way through all the ways we may have settled in the past until we see the truth. In its longing for fullness of being, it is “like the sun warming a seed into life, like the work of clearing away rocks and weeds, and bringing water to the interior garden. Like those seeds, we may need to allow God to love our shallow selves by naming even our disordered longings in God’s presence until, by God’s grace, the deepest desire is revealed. Only then will God’s own soil, watering and light reveal the interior garden where God’s Word seeks to produce new life and new fruit.
- Open your imagination to the Holy Spirit and enter into the story, allowing God to bring to mind anything that might be relevant for you today.
- Where in the story might God be inviting you to engage today?
- What words or aspects of the story connect with you?
- Keep these questions in mind as you engage in the weekly prayer practice today.
2. Prayer Practice: Praying with Jesus Lectio Divina.
Each day, read or listen imaginatively to a story of Jesus with his disciples.
Choose from one or more of the stories listed below, or select your own story to follow. You can stay with one story for the week or pick a new story each day.
As you read or listen to the story, use your imagination and picture the events, smell the smells, imagine the touch and the taste of things, hear the sounds and enter into the story as it unfolds, all the while keeping your eye on Jesus.
- As you read/listen, imagine yourself present and watching Jesus and pay attention to any word, phrase or idea that stands out to you. Spend a minute or so simply reflecting on that word, phrase or idea.
- Read or listen to the story again, imagine yourself present and watching Jesus, this time reflect on how you think this word, phrase, or idea connects your life today? Spend a minute or two thinking about this and consider writing down any thoughts that come to mind.
- Read/listen to the story one last time, again, imagine yourself present and watching Jesus, this time reflect on whether Jesus is inviting you to respond in some way. Is there something practical Jesus is inviting you to do, today or this week, in response to what He has revealed to you through God’s Word? Spend a few minutes prayerfully reflecting on any invitation you have received and ask the Lord for the courage and the strength to respond in obedience to Jesus’ invitation.
John 2:1-11 - The Wedding at Cana
Mark 6:45-51 - Jesus Walks on Water
Luke 9:10-17 - Jesus Feeds 5,000
Matthew 9:2-8 - Down Through The Roof
John 13:1-17 - Jesus Washes His Disciples’ Feet
Luke 24:13-35 - The Emmaus Road
3. Jot down any notes to keep a record of your journey.
- It doesn’t have to be “journaling.” Just capture any key thoughts, ideas, or challenges that come to mind during your time spent with God. This will allow you to track any recurring ideas or themes that God may want to guide you through.